Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Stock Trader's Almanac 2008 (Almanac Investor Series) by Jeffrey A. Hirsch
Product Description
The Stock Trader's Almanac is a practical investment tool that has helped traders and investors forecast market trends with accuracy and confidence for over 40 years. Organized in an easy-to-access calendar format, the 2008 Edition contains historical price information on the stock market, provides monthly and daily reminders, and alerts users to seasonal opportunities and dangers. For its wealth of information and authority of its sources, the Stock Trader's Almanac stands alone as the guide to intelligent investing.
"Jeff Hirsch is following in the great tradition of his father, Yale Hirsch, with this nonpareil almanac of Wall Street data. It's a treasure for investors who want to remember the past as they plan for the future."
-Louis Rukeyser, late founding host, Wall $treet Week
"Information is key to successful investing and investors will find the Almanac a chock-a-block source of need-to-know stuff."
-Steve Forbes, President, CEO, and Editor in Chief, Forbes
"I have every issue since 1976 in my bookcase. The Stock Trader's Almanac is an invaluable resource."
-Marty Zweig, author, Martin Zweig's Winning on Wall Street
"The Stock Trader's Almanac should be on every investor's desk. It's an invaluable source of investment advice, trading patterns, and Wall Street lore. It's also fun to read. I refer to it frequently throughout the year."
-Myron Kandel, founding financial editor, CNN
Product Details
Amazon Sales Rank: #22947 in Books
Published on: 2007-10-05
Number of items: 1
Binding: Spiral-bound
192 pages
Editorial Reviews
From the Back Cover
Stock Trader's Almanac 2008
The Stock Trader's Almanac is a practical investment tool that has helped traders and investors forecast market trends with accuracy and confidence for over 40 years. Organized in an easy-to-access calendar format, the 2008 Edition contains historical price information on the stock market, provides monthly and daily reminders, and alerts users to seasonal opportunities and dangers. For its wealth of information and authority of its sources, the Stock Trader's Almanac stands alone as the guide to intelligent investing.
"Jeff Hirsch is following in the great tradition of his father, Yale Hirsch, with this nonpareil almanac of Wall Street data. It's a treasure for investors who want to remember the past as they plan for the future."
—Louis Rukeyser, late founding host, Wall $treet Week
"Information is key to successful investing and investors will find the Almanac a chock-a-block source of need-to-know stuff."
—Steve Forbes, President, CEO, and Editor in Chief, Forbes
"I have every issue since 1976 in my bookcase. The Stock Trader's Almanac is an invaluable resource."
—Marty Zweig, author, Martin Zweig's Winning on Wall Street
"The Stock Trader's Almanac should be on every investor's desk. It's an invaluable source of investment advice, trading patterns, and Wall Street lore. It's also fun to read. I refer to it frequently throughout the year."
—Myron Kandel, founding financial editor, CNN
About the Author
The Hirsch Organization (Old Tappan, NJ) was founded by Yale Hirsch;(Old Tappan, NJ) who first published The Stock Trader's Almanac, which provides historical information to investors, in 1967. Jeffrey A. Hirsch (South Nyack, NY) is president of The Hirsch Organization and has worked with Yale for over 15 years. In 2001, he took over as president and editor. He appears frequently on CNBC and CNNfn to talk about market cycles and seasonal trends. He also edits The Hirsch Organization's monthly Almanac Newsletter. Judd Taylor Brown (Nyack, NY) is the Vice President of The Hirsch Organization.
Customer Reviews
A useful adjunct for the busy investor
I purchased the Stock Trader's Almanac 2008 on the advice of a couple of folks on a discussion board I visit from time to time. Having used it now for about 6 weeks I find it stimulating but not as helpful as I hoped it would be. The quotes are rich -- but in today's market the trends it notes over the past many years do not seem to be holding up.
Perhaps it is all the ways the government is trying to intervene to bolster up the market. Don't know. But I do not consult it for serious investing.
Interesting -- yes. Big picture. Yes. Helpful to the beginning active trader -- marginal.
A fantastic resource
I have been buying the Stock Trader's Almanac annually since 2004. I am continually intrigued by the tips, trends, and strategies it provides. There is also handy and well-formatted section for maintaining your trading and investment records. It is geared for the mid-term to long-term trader; a.k.a. swing traders. Highly recommended.
A must-have for a trader but mostly info-porn
Amazon says this book is hardcover and it is. If you read carefully, it also says, "Publisher: Wiley; Spi edition (October 5, 2007)". I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is spiral bound within the hardcover; this is extremely useful because the hardcover book can lie flat on a table.
This book is a must-have for any active trader so you know what is going on during that time of the year. I mean seriously, it's only $25 and it's chump change compared to the amount in commissions you blow each month.
I was initially very excited about reading the book, but as time went on, I realized that the book mostly contains info-porn. You need to remember that most of what this book contains are averages of what happened in the past. Does it really help me to know that the authors believe that the probability that the S&P 500 will rise on January 22, 2008 is 38.1%? Nope, not really. The only thing it tells me is that I should probably hold my short positions for one more day just because this day has historically been weak. However, given that much of the recent market action has primarily been data driven (weakening economy, massive losses at banks, etc.), this information is of very little use.
There are, however, some things that are very relevant for 2008. In particular, the December low indicator (page 40) is extremely relevant because we just took out the December low.
Labels:
Stock Market

