Friday, March 28, 2008
How to Develop a Perfect Memory By Dominic O'Brien
Product Details
* Amazon Sales Rank: #1932108 in Books
* Published on: 1994-04
* Binding: Hardcover
* 176 pages
Customer Reviews
A technique that really works5
I read this book back in the late 90's when a friend loaned it to me, i was impressed but i never had the patience to try and memorise the 100 characters and there actions who's initials go with the numbers.
Over 10 years later i started purchasing Dominic O'Briens books and was hooked. I have learnt all 100 names and the first time i tested memorising a deck of cards I got about 47 out of the pack correct.
This is just one of the techniques in the book, but it 100% works if you put in the time to learn it. You also have to go over the things you memorise just like you would if you was studying for an exam. I used to know all the 50 US states and there capitals using his methods but because i never kept it up i forgot them all after a few months.
I have most of Dominics books but i agree with the other poster, i think it's outrageous that this is selling for $200 some places. I think they need to re-publish this. I must say if you cannot afford this book, order Dominic's CD series Quantum Memory Power. All the techniqes which are in this book Dominic explains in great detail in his CD series. I would much prefer the CD series than pay $200 for this.
I have to say a personal thankyou to Dominic if he ever reads this stuff.
Your books are a real inspiration, if only i knew this technique when i was at school.
Dominic's best work .....5
Here's the contents of the book:
2)How to remember lists
3)What's in a name?
3)How to remember numbers
5)The mental diary
6)The mental in-tray
7)Memory and job interviews
8)How to remember speeches
9)How to remember directions
10)Learning the twentieth century calender
11)How to recall 'lost chapters' of your life
12)How to learn languages
13)How to remember geographical facts
14)How to remember history
15)Popular mnemonics
16)How to memorize a pack of cards
17)How to win(always) at Trivial Pursuit
18)Memory and sport
19)How memory can improve your golf swing
20)How memory can improve your chess game
21)More on cards-how to memorize thirty-five decks
22)Number crunching
23)Remembering binary numbers
24)How to win at blackjack
25)How to beat quiz machines
26)Memory and the Greeks
27)Famous Memory men
This is the first and fullest exposition of the DOMINIC Memory system."How to Develop a Perfect Memory" ia one of the more informative and certainly the most enjoyable memory book I have ever come across.This book would be of most interest to participants in memory competitions and conjurors who incorporate memory routines into their act.Dominic's other great work "How to Pass Exams" is,as its name suggests, more geared towards academic applications
The e-book,($39.99)is definitely value for money;an actual second hand copy($149-$645.94???!!!) probably isn't .
Luckily for me..hehe...I found a copy in my local library.Even better value!
Best memory book I have found5
Dominic Obrien, revolutionized the way people memorize. 8 time world memory champion. He dominated the sport until others figured out how he did it.
This is his most comprehensive book. It's goes in great detail and is a great read.
The concepts are easy to understand, but many(like the number system) require a lot of practice. But if you do your homework, you will be able to do things like memorize hundreds of phone numbers, dates, decks of cards, binary numbers etc. It took me months to get the techique fast enough and familiar enough to use it. But well worth it.
Even if you don't have world memory champ aspirations, a lot of the techniques are quite simple and can be used to improve everyday memory(task lists etc.) But for that kind of stuff his other(in print) books will do.
It's a shame this book is out of print and selling for the outragious price of $199 used. Try to find it in a library or borrow it from someone(this book is very very hard to find though).
Labels:
Entertainment

